For Better Or Worse

My mother asked me to go with her to a coworker's wedding today. I accepted. But because of the location of the wedding, I really wanted Mr. Romance there with me today.

The wedding was held at the chapel where I was supposed to marry my ex. My ex left me about a month before we were supposed to get married. I have no hard feelings toward the break up. I loved him. There might be a piece of my heart that always does. I don't think it's possible to fall in love and ever completely fall out of it. But I know fully that we weren't supposed to be married. We were just meant to love each other at that particular time in our lives. When my ex disappeared, I was certainly hurt and confused at the time. But realizing how much I loved him with my human heart, I needed God to step in like that or else we might have overstepped God's will for our lives.

I didn't hear from him again until just after I met Mr. Romance. Out of the blue, a friend of his called me up and asked me if I would speak to my ex again. It was strange because that's exactly what happened with my high school sweetheart after he broke my heart. Disappeared for a while - and later a friend of his calls me up. It was good closure at a time I needed it most.

Mr. Romance and I fell in love and were later married on a beach at sunrise on a Sunday.

Being back at the chapel today brought me back to that moment when my ex disappeared and how we came so close to getting married there. While most people would expect some bitter feelings to linger, I actually had so much peace about not marrying him. It simply wasn't meant to be. But the person who was sitting next to me today? Now, that's exactly who I was meant to be with.

For better or worse.


"And even though
It all went wrong
I'll stand before the Lord of Song
With nothing on my tongue but Hallelujah"
-Leonard Cohen

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is such a powerful story :) I'm glad that you are at peace with what happened!

Post a Comment