Give Them Back Their Childhood

I often find myself so critical of my children. It's a constant "Do this. Don't do that." mentality.

I want my children to learn good habits and be good to others. I've wanted that so badly that sometimes I forget that they are just kids. I have to stop wanting perfect behavior from my 2 year old. She's active, loud, and happy. Most days I try to correct all of that. I tell her to sit down, be quiet, and calm down. But she's only 2 years old for cryin' out loud. I'm the same way with my 4 and 7 year old.

Mostly this happens because I'm worried about them bugging others in the household too much. Or because mama just needs some quiet time. Or because I need some time to have conversations with adults. I need some time to work. I need. I need. I need.

But what about their needs? Their most important need right now is needing to just be a kid. And who am I to take that away from them?

This week I'm going to focus hard on putting them first and remembering how old they really are. I'll have plenty of time later to be alone with Mr. Romance. I'll have plenty of quiet time when they leave the house for good. I'll have plenty of time to work. What I won't have is the ability to give them back their childhood.


"Cause last night I had something so good
These days get so long
And I got nothing to do."
Counting Crows

0 comments:

Post a Comment